Thursday, September 5, 2013

Opening the milk cartons

Bag learning Chinese, I'm just hoping the kids learn how to open their milk cartons. I've been going to school during lunch to help the kids. It's a lot for a kindergartnerner to make their way through the lunch line, choose fruits, vegetables, entree and desert then make their way to the table. Once they get to the table they have trouble opening their milk cartons and utensil wrapper so I am there to help. I have no doubt in a couple of weeks they will all be pros.

Last night while Sean was in the bath tub he was singing a song in Chinese. I asked him what it meant and he said "I don't know, it's Chinese." I recognized the words for teacher, that was about it. I asked Sean what he did at school. He said "we watched a movie." I asked what the movie was about and he said "I don't know, it was in Chinese." I think I read somewhere the first part of learning a foreign language is listening to the language. I really can't fathom two and a half hours of Chinese per day.

An article from the Tribune archives regarding dual immersion programs. The comments are interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment